As part of the course INFO-I300: Human-Computer Interaction Design in Indiana University, I’ve created a small tutorial about sketchnoting. This is the first time that I write down the rationale for the way in which I take notes. It was an insightful and interesting exercise. My quick insights are:
- Sketchnoting helps to organize and synthesize information
- Sketchnoting helps to develop metaphorical thinking
- Sketchnoting helps to develop a personal visual coding for information
- Tools are important (e.g., needle point marker, brush tip marker and good quality sketchbook)
- Drawing skills are not that relevant. Notes should make sense to you first.
- Consistency is a key aspect for sketchnoting
Based on my experience, the steps for good sketchnoting are:
- Write down
- Code visually
- Relate content
I hope the tutorial shown below can be help you for anyone interested in sketchnoting.