Today I plugged an extra monitor that I have on my desk to my laptop in order to work with two Word documents at the same time. Suddenly, I couldn’t avoid to step back and put attention to the signs on, in, and around the monitor. Because of my interest on Visual Rhetoric and Semiotic, I was wondering what my visual analysis/interpretation for such image. I’ve observed in many cases that people have different arrangements at the workplace in comparison to their living rooms, bedrooms, inside of their cars, and so on.
Then, these questions came to my mind,
- What is our workplace telling about us?
- What are our personal spaces telling about us?
- Is the same message for both cases?
- If not, is there something as a “reconciliation” between them?
- How do our workplace and personal spaces participate on constructing a discourse regarding our identity?
And tell me… what do you see here? Who am I?